Saturday 10 November 2012

Falling in LOVE with Insanity Training

Well, it's Saturday afternoon and I'm just hanging out, sipping a Shakeology and contemplating life in general.

It's been quite some time since I entered a blog post, shame on me! Now that I've gotten a bit of a handle on this 'coaching' thing, I am now ready to post on a regular basis. I enjoy 'chronicling' my Beachbody journey, and sharing my Insane experiences with you, so it will be fun to start writing more about this adventure.

And what an adventure it has been!!

I am a new woman! Or I feel like it, at least.

Yes, the big wigs at Beachbody-ville knew what they were doing when they named this Insanity.  There is really no other way to describe it.  It's bloody Insane!!  Right from the get go it forces you to push your body to the max with exercises ranging from doing pushups and punches and running--all at the same time!  It makes you question your ability, your will to succeed, and it forces you to dig deep within yourself to unearth a hardened gritty determination that can only be found from doing things like power jumps and suicide drills. It makes you believe in not only yourself, but in your ability to succeed.

And the thing that I find very interesting about this whole experience is just how empowering it can be.  Insanity and P90X are both known for being very tough, especially Insanity, and I think most people generally talk themselves out of even trying simply because of its reputation.  It goes without saying that this program will make you sweat, and so to even contemplate starting it, much less completing it is a feat unto itself.

So, the question begs to be answered, is it really that tough?

I have a few things to say in response to that question.

For one thing, yes, it is physically demanding. The first time I did the workout the warm up itself damn near killed me, and then when I got to the actual workout part, I made the mistake of thinking, well, it's only 20 minutes long!  How hard could that be?  Pretty freaking hard, I'll tell you that much. But what makes it 20 minutes of sheer hell is the fact that A) there are hardly any breaks and B) the exercises are truly unlike any other exercise you may have done in the past.  You are expected to jump high in the air and then flop down and do 32 push-ups, followed with some plank running and ski abs.  And then just when you think you've had enough you get to move down into a squat position and jump back into the air for what seems like 15 minutes but is actually only 30 seconds!  And don't get me started on suicide drills!

So, ya it's tough because you're doing all sorts of things that your body isn't necessarily used to. And don't forget the fact that many of us (including myself) have been lured into thinking that if we go for brisk walk or do some light weights at the gym that we're doing one hell of a workout.  We don't even break a sweat yet we head to Tim Hortons for a chocolate strudel because we've just 'worked out.'  So when we strap on our shoes for a round of Insanity, we are shocked and dismayed at just how physically demanding it is. Sweat? It didn't look like I sweated much when I did my first workout; it looked like I had just gotten out of the shower! AND run 25 miles!

So, yes it's tough, but is it sooo  tough that the average Jo walking down the street can't do it?  Is it too tough? 

No.  Plain and simple, no.  What I think gets people, the general population is that it makes us work.  It makes us question our abilities, and it forces us to recognize that there are no quick fixes here, and in a lot of cases, we're just not used to that. We're used to living in a world where we can take a pill and get skinny in 2 weeks.  We can walk into a clinic with wrinkles, and walk out looking like Jessica Biel. If we want it, we get it--right now. But it doesn't work that way with Insanity.  If we want to look like the guys and gals who have had amazing transformations with Insanity we will have to work, and work damn hard to get them.  There is a reason why the shirt says, "I earned it'.  Because you'll have to. You'll have to commit to showing up every day, doing your best, struggling, and yes hating it.  You'll have to do things that don't necessarily feel great or are a lot of fun.  But if you do commit, you will reap the benefits of having a stronger, leaner body.  You will be fitter, firmer and faster. You will be grateful that you did it.

And what you may be really asking right now is can I do it?  The answer is simple.

Yes.

Will you be glad you did?

Absolutely!!

Click here to get started on the Insanity Journey of  a Lifetime!!

Click here to join my team and take advantage of free unlimited coaching!