Wednesday 28 November 2012

Staying Motivated to Exercise....It Ain't Easy

So, I was working out the other day, and a thought crossed my mind.  It went a little like this:

Why the HELL am I doing this??

This sucks.  It hurts.  It isn't fun.  I'm not coordinated, or fast, or ...well, you get the point. I'm not sure when the thought hit me...if it was while I was squeezing out a few more plank pushups, or ski abs, or it if was while I was jumping and squatting and punching all at the same time....I'm just not sure--but at some point in the workout it occurred to me--this really isn't a whole lot of fun!

I'm not smiling.  I'm not chatting with friends.  I'm flailing around like a newborn calf, sweating and grunting like a wild boar in heat--and I'm constantly looking at the timer on the screen to see how much longer I have to endure this.

So why on earth do I do this, day in and day out--if it isn't fun?  Isn't working out supposed to be fun?  Aren't we supposed to enjoy it?

Well, here's what I think.

I did finish the workout--as much as I struggled, as much as I hated it, and as much as I cursed 'really bad curse words' at Shaun T.  I did my level best--kept going when it hurt--and by the end of the adventure I was on all fours, heaving like I had just given birth, and feeling quite proud of myself indeed.  In fact, I felt pretty damn good.

I felt like a rock star. Make that a superstar.

And then it hit me--it's not necessarily supposed to be fun!

Maybe it's supposed to hurt, and make us struggle, and make us heave.  Because, when we're heaving, and jumping, and squatting, and punching and swearing--that's when the magic happens!

That is when we start really challenging ourselves, and believing in ourselves.  We prove to ourselves that we actually can do this stuff!  We are athletes after all!

I used to think that only athletes and people who were 'genetically predisposed' to having good bodies were the only ones who could get nice abs and toned arms.  Now I know that I was so so wrong.

I know that if I work--and I mean truly work--haul ass and sweat and struggle--I can achieve what I want. I can be who I want.

And it is because of that I am motivated to do this every day.  I struggle and I see results.

I believe in myself, and I become confident. I become the person I've always wanted to be.  The best version of myself possible.

And can all of that come from an Insanity workout?  Yes.  And the answer is Yes because it's hard.  It challenges you to do work harder than you've ever worked before.  It challenges you to dig deep within yourself and muster up that reserve of strength you never thought you had.  It challenges you to believe in yourself.

And when all is said and done, and you're on all fours, panting like a boar, feeling like he just gave birth--you'll know it's worth it.

To close, take a look at this video I made a while ago about a serious condition that affects many athletes, called OSTS:  You don't want to miss it!!


Dig Deep, my friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment